Do I Need a Second Opinion For This?
- Posted on: May 15 2019
If you know you need treatment for an ongoing or even a new issue, you may decide to see just one physician. Even if they came highly recommended by a close friend, we always agree that it’s a good idea to get a second opinion. Just as every person is different, every doctor and surgeon is different. Special education or more experience with a specific treatment or surgery can help a doctor give you more information, or even new options that may better suit your lifestyle.
When Should You Get a Second Opinion?
If your condition is threatening your limb or your life and requires emergency care, then, let’s face it, you don’t have time for a second opinion. If you do happen to have the time (such as in the case of a condition that comes from repeated use and wear), it is never a bad idea to get a second opinion. Sometimes, a second opinion can help you gain clarity regarding your situation and all of the possible surgeries or treatment options. If any of the below occur, it may be worth getting a second opinion to make sure you’re making the right choice.
- Your condition returns after treatment is complete
- A cause for your symptoms is not identified, and symptoms continue
- You feel that there is something wrong with the diagnosis or treatment suggested
- Surgery is one of the treatment options offered, or the only treatment offered
- Numerous treatment options are available
- After consulting with your physician or surgeon, you still have unanswered questions or you feel confused about what option to choose
- You are told by a doctor or orthopedic surgeon that your condition can’t be successfully treated or that you will just have to live with it
Would you like to request a second opinion about your issue or concern?
We provide highly personalized and comprehensive care to help you feel informed, get better faster, and go back to your normal life. Ultimately, we want you to be well-informed so you make the best decision for your health. Feel free to give us a call at 508.363.6363 to schedule a consultation or second opinion.
Posted in: General Orthopedic