Selecting the Best Running Shoe for You
- Posted on: Mar 31 2013
If you’re a runner, you’re likely aware of the importance of selecting the correct running shoe. For those who are newer to the game, you may not be aware of the connection between your running shoes and the safety and success of your workout. Not only will the correct shoe provide you with a comfortable running experience, but it can also reduce your risk for blisters, pain, and sports-related injuries. While choosing a running shoe can seem like a daunting task, we wanted to share a few tips to keep in mind during your search.
Here are 5 Tips to Consider When Choosing a Running Shoe:
- Ask questions. One of the most important tips for selecting the right running shoe is to ask the salesperson questions. He or she will be able to make a recommendation, based on your foot shape and running goals. It’s also a good idea to visit a store that caters specifically to runners. The sales team will likely be more knowledgeable than that of a general, “big box” store.
- Inquire about a running analysis. Many running stores now offer a running analysis to help you choose the correct shoe based on your gait — specifically, your degree of “pronation.” Pronation refers to the inward rolling motion the foot makes when it hits the ground. Ask about a running analysis the next time you’re looking for a pair of shoes.
- Choose for comfort, not fashion. While many will want to gravitate towards the shoe that looks the best, those might not be the ones that are best suited to your feet. If your running shoes aren’t comfortable, they can cause blisters, pain, and potentially injury.
- Go for a test drive. Simply trying on a pair of shoes won’t give you a sense of how they’ll feel on the open road. Be sure to bring a pair of running socks and ask the salesperson to let you run on one of their treadmills or around the store.
- Choose quality over savings. A good pair of running shoes is an investment, and should generally last between 400 and 600 miles. While a sale price may seem appealing at first glance, always buy shoes based on quality and not exclusively on price.
Sports Medicine in Worcester
Get back in the game! If you’re suffering from a sports-related injury or would like more information about the Sports Medicine we offer, we encourage you to contact us today. Our offices are located in Worcester, proudly serving the surrounding areas. Schedule your appointment today at (508) 363-6363. We look forward to hearing from you.